Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Last DEP Meeting, or Today I Blame Myself

I had my last Delayed Entry Program meeting today. It was surprisingly academic; the recruiters mostly asked us questions about things you should know before you go to boot camp. That part was easy, since everything is in my mind pretty firmly. Then we went outside and had a little fun, running relay on a soccer field. One of the recruiters challenged us to complete it in under 20:00 -- giving us each about a 1:30 to complete our leg.

Physically, I'll say that I'm average to above average. I can push out the required push-ups easily, the sit-ups are a breeze. But running? I'm not so sure if I can make the required 15:00 mark for a mile and a half.

So my turn comes up, and I ran at an easy loose pace until the last 100 yards or so. I dug deep and sprinted as hard as I can, and my muscles felt like jelly. And about 12 feet from the tag-off line, my jelly-muscles say, "nope, we're not going to support you!" and I fall on my ass. The recruiter that I was running with asked if I was okei, (yes) and offered a hand to help me up. I jogged back, tagged off, and walked around with my hands on my head, stomach revolting and feeling as though I might pass out.

We missed the 20:00 mark, by five seconds -- about how long I was on the ground. No one else fell, no one else pushed themselves so hard that they hated themselves after it was done. No. If I hadn't literally pushed myself to the limit, we probably would've made the mark. my team failed because I didn't acknowledge this.

For this, I completely blame myself.

No comments: