Monday, February 18, 2008

love and logisitics in the land of nukes

Being around people that think of themselves as particularly smart actually kinda sucks. When everyone thinks they're special, a number of assholes emerge. Like people who think they're so smart, they can break the rules and get away with it.

A class, three days from graduation, got masted. They broke the rules and were found out, and were publicly humiliated. And for what, drinking underage. And then some especially stupid people went out and got drunk, underage, that day. And got masted. This is a huge thing at this command, they do not tolerate underage drinking at all. They don't even like us going into Spencer's, because there's drug paraphernalia sold there. There's a hookah bar downtown, and someone got masted because she took pictures of herself smoking out of a hookah. Tobacco, not anything illegal. There's a bit of rebellion with people carrying around spoons and rolled up dollar bills. It's just stupid. They tell you not to do something, so don't do it. Aren't people here supposed to be smart?

And yet, there are a few people of good character here. I went out with some acquaintances last night, and one of them picked up the check for me, because that's how he is. I ordered an alcoholic drink, and the waiter gave us two straws. He didn't even touch it, because he's underage. I like him. He keeps himself above reproach.

I'm engaged. To someone on the other side of the country, also in the Navy. I understand that I'll probably see him for a grand total of a month a year. I love him, and I miss him. And I understand that this is the way I will feel for most of the time while I'm in the Navy. My class graduates on May 30, and he deploys for a six month cruise of the Persian Gulf the day after. This is how it'll be. Damn, this sucks.

No comments: