Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Abortion, drugs, and the meaning of life.

For a long time my position of abortion was that of a pro-lifer. I've changed a bit from that now, I suppose I've become less rigid in judging others. I consider myself personally pro-life; I doubt I'll ever have an abortion. But, I've come to realize that if we make abortions illegal, that doesn't do away with the demand. There will be women who want abortions, and doctors (and if it becomes illegal, pseudo-doctors, I'm sure) who are willing to perform them. What happens is that there's no legal recourse if a woman's abortion is botched. Medical tourism to countries who do allow abortion would almost certainly rise. On the flip side, if you don't like abortion and it's legal (as it is now), no one is forcing you to have one. You have a perfect right to call it immoral, protest it, and write negatively about it, but no matter how much you protest or write, there will never be a consensus.

For a long time, my stance about drugs was simple: they were bad. I've changed a bit from that now. For instance, marijuana isn't toxic enough for someone to smoke weed to death, unlike the possibility of smoking cigarettes to death or drinking oneself to death. The substances in it have proven to ease pain and increase appetite, and have been used in painkillers, some specifically prescribed to chemotherapy patients. Is smoking weed directly worse? I'd think not.

I've never smoked, I've never gotten drunk, and I've rarely been in the mere presence of weed. This does not mean I'm somehow morally superior to those that do choose to do so, and I think that if someone wants to go get stoned, they should be able to do so safely and legally. (Well, as long as they're not in the armed forces, but that's covered by an additional code of laws). I think that we should legalize all illegal drugs, regulate the hell out of them, then tax them like we do for cigarettes. We'll give the money to the armed forces. Build an aircraft carrier from that tax money and call it the "Mary Jane." People can have bumper stickers that say "Support our troops, smoke a joint." (I'm easily amused, heh.)

No, we'd never be so outright with where the tax money would be going. I'm sure some people would go out of their way to grow their own in order to not support the troops. And those that would get the really illegal weed, because their moral qualms over wars and the industrial-military complex (whatever the hell that is) would prompt them to specifically not buy the legal and regulated kind, and then we'd have the problem of discerning legal weed from illegal weed.

And the meaning of life? I used to think that if everyone thought and talked like me, only then we could have world peace. I now think that we'd loose so much diversity, it'd be a pretty boring place. I think part of the meaning of life is allowing room for other's opinions, and diversity.

4 comments:

richbh said...

That's very mature thinking.
I don't think abortion is a good thing, but since I'm a guy I feel that I have absolutely no say - not my body, not my life, not my choice.
Legaliztion of MJ would be a good thing - the US has wasted billions on fighting a benign drug that does far less damage to society than does alcohol.
And the meaning of life - diversity is a good thing - and live and let live. Be good to your friends, be good to those you love, assume that the other guy is in a bad place if he's being an idiot or an asshole. That just about covers it.

bob said...

i think you've just hit the nail on the head with the absolute right way of thought.

you don't have to accept an idea to understand that to take it away would be worse than leaving it alone. you don't have to embrace specific choices to recognize their validity and right to exist.

i think your thoughts on the meaning of life and diversity are right in line with why you've come to realize the abortion/drug ones are probably the correct ones...

it's about choice, and the freedom to choose.

if more people understood these basic fundamentals, then i think we'd be closer to world peace and acceptance, more than any other one-way of thought that could be forced on us...
(like thinking or talking exactly like you :) )

good job, welcome to the reasoned thoughts on the path of the enlightened.

Unknown said...

fdf

Anonymous said...

I think the tax money over MJ would go even further considering how many people are put in Jail every year on drug charges.
46.5% of all drug charges are for MJ alone.
In 2004, 17% of state prisoners and 18% of federal inmates said they committed their current offense to obtain money for drugs, cosidering jail time for drugs, or use of drugs or the discovered use of drugs can lead to being fired it's hard for users to even get money to feed their habit even if they are reasonable people who are willing to work.

If drugs were legal, or even just decriminalized all these people wouldn't have to go to jail, they could continue to work and pay taxes and pay LOTS of taxes on their habit of choice (I mean in Canada a pack of ciggs costs like 10$)

The rest of society wouldn't have to pay for their time in jail, their trials and maybe, just maybe cops would then have more time to protect people from real criminals and not just the kids on the street cornor who feel like rolling up a fat one.