Saturday, April 21, 2007

Oh, I want to copy this and make the shift leaders read it aloud...

So, I got a copy of The Bluejacket's Manual from Amazon. It's pretty much the handbook on how to do stuff the Navy way. And it's frequently abbreviated BJM. BJ, he he.

So I've been reading it, and I've gotten to the part about leadership. Here's a bit:

Know your job. Few things are more uninspiring for subordinates than to recognize that their leader does not know her or his job. As a leader, you will earn confidence and respect of those who work for you if you know everything you can possibly know about your job. You should also strive to learn as much as you reasonably can about the jobs of your subordinates, but use this knowledge to improve your communications with subordinates, to instruct when necessary, and to monitor what they are doing. Do not use this knowledge to intrude on their work.

Oh, I want to copy the whole section and give it to the managers at McDonald's.

I hope it just keeps getting better.

No comments: