Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Why I don't like the 700 club

I can remember thinking, while mom was in one of her jesus-highs and watching the 700 club, "Why does God heal in time with the music?" Admittedly, I didn't think about post-production, but it felt weird to me. It was the first time I applied a little critical thinking to my faith. I started to watch with a more neutral and less incredulous point of view.

On the 700 club, they often have a segment where they heal people. Not just pray for sick people but heal them, and (creepy) watch them be healed. There is something much like this in New Age religions; it's called Astral Projection. Now if I were to say to my mother (if I had the chance) that this is like Astral Projection, and define it, she'd probably defend it on the grounds that it's Christians doing it. I imagine we'd get stuck in a good ol' circular argument.

Sigh.

2 comments:

SunSpotBaby said...

Growing up, I had NO idea what the 700 club was - I thought it was some kind of club you joined when you bowled like two 300 games and then a 100 game or something. So, I'm about 30 years old at a reception of some sort and this guy has a "700 Club" pin on, and I congratulated him and asked him when he "did it." He had a blank look on his face, and said, "Um, well, I joined a couple of years ago." I said, "But what ally, where?" He looked kind of stunned and just mumbled something and walked away. I was like WTF??? What did I say?? A few years later I'm flipping thru the channels and come across the 700 Club, and I got all embarrassed all those years later. Then I had a good laugh!

John P said...

I thought it was your SAT score.