Saturday, April 7, 2007

There are no girls on the internet

If you're reading this, chances are it's because someone linked to me, since I'm not really out to promote myself. And I'm mildly amused that she referred to me as a male.

Eh. It's not as if I chose a particularly feminine name. Or as if I'm not doing something as typically masculine as, say, joining the military. Or like there are pictures of me. Or I'm all like, "The crimson ichor of my wymenhood cycle is leaking from my puffy, raw vagina." (thank you, encyclopedia dramatica).

But, I bet it's because there really aren't any females on the internet. They're too busy cooking, cleaning, and shaving their legs to go on teh interweb, and all females on the internet are really males, unless they show proof of their femalian qualities, and even then, that's subject to review. "You're a girl?" they say, followed promptly by"pix plz." I suppose in print I'm not particularly girly. I can live with that. And why should I get my panties in a twist when someone who I only know through what she chooses to publish on her blog calls me a guy, based on what I've chosen to publish on my blog? We must have very narrow views of each other, lol.

If this is the worst thing that happens today, then it's a pretty good day.

4 comments:

Heather Meadows said...

I came here through said link, and started reading (though apparently I missed the one about your period), and not far into my reading I thought, "This doesn't sound like a guy."

Though I'm not sure why. It's interesting to think about why people draw their conclusions :)

Tactical Grace said...

I haven't really written about my period, it just seems unnecessary.

Heather Meadows said...

Yeah, I'd say writing about one's period is about as insightful as writing about one's bowel movements.

I do write about mine, but at least that's because they're irregular and affect my state of mind ;P

Final Embrace said...

I also found you through Violent Acres and, believing everything the woman(?) says, I naturally assumed you were male.
If others read your writings, appreciate them and believe you to be male because of the intelligence of your thoughts, that might just be their "gender-bias" slip showing.
Of course, I've heard (or read) few women engaging in the "most religion is a rip-off" discourse (your recent posts) so I might also have assumed you were female.
And if you do choose to write about menstruation, please bring something new to the table. Since us men (yes, I'm a dude) don't experience that cycle we don't know anymore about it than what we see on Kotex commercials and in badly written theatre pieces.